Saint Paul STRONG is a non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting transparent, accountable local government in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
News and Commentary
This November, St. Paul will vote on who will lead the Capitol City for the next 4-years. Seven candidates have thrown their hats into the ring to challenge incumbent Mayor Carter, all political outsiders who are not expected to present any threat to what should be a smooth re-election. This lack of electoral competition presents a …
St. Paul has a strong mayor system of governance. But in a high-handed fashion the current mayor has decided, perhaps illegally, that his future campaign is more important than (a) what the law says, (b) what his Planning Commission recommended and (c) what the City Council decided. Neighborhood residents are up in arms. Mayor Melvin …
Plans to clean up Pig’s Eye Lake may be well meaning, but were drawn up without public consultation.
Most read on Saint Paul Strong
- City cuts sweetheart deal with Madison Equities for Downtown real estate.
- Good Intentions no substitute for Authentic engagement East Side Pig’s Eye improvement plans
- In St. Paul, taxes rise and rise and rise. Can we talk more about this?
- Saint Paul City Council Shows Leadership with 4-3 Vote to Explore Sales Tax Increase
- Politics trumps proper process in St. Paul
Leadership requires tough conversations and sometimes taking unpopular votes such as when the City Council voted 4-3 in early February to explore a possible 1% sales tax increase. The money generated from this increase might be earmarked to pay for roads, housing, and pre-K programs. This is a tough sell for many, in great part …