Council Member Mitra Jalali did not respond to the survey.
Robert Bushard's [RB] responses appear below
1. Do you support the current renter stabilization ordinance, and if not, what changes would you apply?
RB: I do not support renter stabilization in any form and would work to repeal the ordinance.
2. Do you support the construction of the Summit Ave. bike lane?
RB: I am absolutely opposed to historically harming Summit Ave. I do believe the infrastructure upgrades are needed and therefore Summit does not need to be rebuilt. If elected, my first act would be to repeal the Summit Ave 90% plan passed by the City Council on May 23, 2023.
3. Do you support the elimination of zoning for single family housing?
RB: I believe the 'housing crisis' we are facing is a result of the push for large apartments to replace single family homes. I support families and single family home ownership.
4. What is one action you would take to reduce or neutralize criminal violence to improve residents’ sense of safety?
RB: I would have a larger police presence on the streets, support policies that will make it clear to criminals that there are consequences for criminal activity. I would also make it clear to law enforcement that the City Council has their backs.
5. Do you support renegotiation of the franchise agreement with Xcel Energy?
RB: I do not have a good answer on this as I am not familiar with the issue. When it does come up I would certainly look out for consumers' interests.
6. What is your favorite and least desirable detail about the Carter Administration?
RB: The Shortline (Ayd Mill Road) really needed resurfacing and Mayor Carter got it done... at twice the price.
7. Has the newly organized trash system in Saint Paul been successful and if not, how would you change it?
RB: I opposed the organized trash system in Saint Paul and would work to go back to private haulers. The program put at least 8 haulers out of business, increased costs hurting consumers, killed jobs and the attendant tax revenue. The worst part is we are now sending money to New York for trash collection.
8. Do you support historic preservation in Saint Paul?
RB: I absolutely support historic preservation in Saint Paul, especially on Summit Ave.